Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Alps, Rome & Amalfi Coast!

Beata has been fantasizing about the Amalfi coast for years, and motorbiking in the high Alps will be the fulfillment of a dream for me. So here we go...

PART I - The High Alps of Germany, Austria & Northern Italy


We're flying into Munich on Monday morning September 6th, where we'll rent a BMW R1100RT for three days of riding in the high Alps. Its a beast of a machine. My first ever motorbiking experience in Europe will be riding a BMW on the famous Autobahn (no speed limit). Just the thought of it makes me bubbly with joy, while the reality is I might just wet my pants.

Anyway, some of the waypoints include Salzburg, Zell Am See, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Trento, Bolzano, Innsbruck. Click here to see our route in the Alps.

At the moment, I'm concerned about the likelihood of rain and temps in the 50-60's. Yuck. So I'm currently working on a plan 'B'....Budapest, Zagreb, Prague, Venice...or how about Amsterdam?! Whats a motorbike trip without some foul weather and a few detours? Did I mention we'll be riding on the Autobahn?

PART II - Rome & the Amalfi Coast

We fly to Rome from Munich after returning the bike on Friday the 10th. After two nights and a day in Rome, we'll rent a car and head south to our three-day base in Sorrento. From there we'll explore the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri. No doubt the weather there will be fantastic. This is where the real relaxation begins.You can bet we'll be drinking a lot of Limoncello.

After one more day in Rome, its back to Chicago.

We'll keep you informed of our whereabouts along the way. I hope you're entertained and maybe even a little inspired...

1 comment:

  1. The children & I are following your trip. Looking forward to all your updates!

    ReplyDelete